When the Twin Towers went down some people just couldn’t keeping watching – it was too distressing. The media reports went on for days even months. Others like me couldn’t stop watching. I don’t know why. Perhaps it’s a way of dealing with the trauma and disbelief. Watching Australian television in the last few months has had the same effect – like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I really don’t want to watch but just can’t help it. So out of all this, a few observations for all the politicians out there – the 10 things that will never work no matter how hard you try.
- Insist black is white no matter what
- Use simple mantras and keep repeating them – that way you at least will eventually believe them even if no one else does
- Ignore research – it might tell you something you don’t agree with
- Always blame someone else
- Surround yourself with people who agree with you – label the others as ‘angry’, ‘envious’ or similar – insult and denigrate rather than talking about issues
- Never think about people – it’s all about money
- Make sure your public words and actions reflect all your private judgmental beliefs and biases
- Believe everyone thinks as highly of you as your mother
- Never ever consider you might actually be wrong
- Oh yes talk about personal responsibility then get your stomach banded and puff on cigars, dance in your office to “The best day of my life” (but it is a great song)
before delivering blow after blow to the poor and disenfranchised in the budget, label students as ‘socialists’ because you’ve never left your own days of uni politics – and don’t forget to wink – after all it’s just a big fat game – isn’t it?